Blade Nzimande, Adam Habib, Precious Moloi-Motsepe, Mamokgethi Phakeng, Sakhela Buhlungu, Francis Petersen, Professor Nana Poku, Mahlo Mokgalong,
UNIVERSITIES TO ISSUE OWING STUDENTS GRADUATE CERTIFICATES
Dear President, Minister, Chancellors, Principals and Vice Chancellors.
In light of the following from Stats SA
- SA Unemployment rate: 30%
- South Africa Youth Unemployment Rate: 60%
- Black African women are the most vulnerable with an unemployment rate of over 30%.
Universities expect students to pay their debt while they are unemployed. CUT research has found that the majority of students who are unemployed are those whose certificates are withheld by universities.
We sincerely and kindly request that Universities should issue graduate certificates to students with outstanding tuition fees.
As a follow-up to the radio interview according to Central University of Technology, Free State, Alumni Executive Committee member Farmer Khutlang.
Speaking on POWER Perspective, Khutlang says the certificate will help many students enter the job market.
Why is this important?
1. This will help many students enter the job market.
2. Universities' financial sustainability will improve as more graduates get jobs and start paying-off their debts.
3. This will also reduce the social burden on the government of giving out grants as more people are employed.
4. This will contribute to the NDP and the GDP of South Africa.